Friday, October 26, 2012

Fun-filled friday

What a day. 
It was one of those days where you have so much fun and do so many things that when you get home, you are too tired to do anything else. 
Yes, that is an excuse for not blogging yesterday, but I am going with it. 

This weekend is the big Mission Halloween party. Scoff as you might, but this is a BIG deal. Our office team, a few volunteers and a few guys from the Facilities maintenance crew spent all morning and afternoon setting up the haunted house alone. It's gonna be good, really good. <Fingers crossed> *sidenote* I cross my fingers in the privacy of my home because that is considered a lewd gesture in Vietnam. 

In the middle of the day, we took a break to attend an "Americans in Ha Noi" ladies luncheon. 
It was exactly what you are imagining. I think this was the first time that I truly felt like a diplomat's wife. I made the acquaintance of several lovely ladies who live in Ha Noi, some are in the diplomatic community and some outside. One thing everyone had in common: they were all incredibly nice. 
We had a six course lunch at Au Lac House. I felt super fancy, and underdressed:



Seafood spring rolls


Banana flower salad


Grilled eggplant with peanuts


Stir fried rice with pork and vegetables


Grilled beef in a black pepper sauce


Baked salmon with julienned vegetables

We also had a fruit plate for dessert and it was so delicious, everything is so fresh. We rushed back and decorated the Haunted house and made a game plan for Sunday. Tropical storm Son Tinh was scheduled to make a wrench in our party, but this morning, it has all changed to hit on Monday instead. Thank You Universe!

After work, me and my super team of volunteers headed to Happy hour at the Marine house. I felt like I was at a very clean frat house, with more respectful gentelmen. The Marines are a great group of guys who work really hard to serve our Mission, I respect them a lot, and they are a lot of fun. 

We cut the happy hour short to have dinner with my "Language Class Family." The two men that I took language class in DC have been living here just a few weeks longer than me, but we are all so busy that this was the first time we could come together. 

We feasted like kings--once again, this is a theme I am finding--and shared several laughs and glasses of wine. It was sooo good to see them both, and to spend time with J's family. His two boys are quite entertaining, and his wife is lovely.


"Morning glory" aka Vietnamese water spinach and sesame seeds


Blurry tofu salad, spicy and delicious!


Believe it or not, this is not sushi. It was some kind of sea bass concoction rolled in seaweed. It was warm and delicious!


 Shrimp curry soup--the star of the show!

Dessert was another incredible fruit plate, which I opted not to photo. I cannot believe we crammed all that in, and also that the Hubs and the other J had the energy to go out afterwards. 

I sure like waking up to find random pictures on my camera.....

I'd share them, but I might disappear if I did....

Off to plant street today! Have a great day out there everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment