Wednesday, October 24, 2012

BOON BOH NAYAMM BOH!

Once upon a time, in language training, I came across this video: Sh*t expats in Ha Noi say.

Ever since then, I have been itching to try the "Boon boh nayam boh"...mostly because I wanted to master being able to say it, well, tonight, was the NIGHT!


Here it is: Bun Bo Nam Bo
Vermicelli, sprouts, carrots, Vietnamese basil, fish sauce, lettuce, jicama, cucumber, peanuts, fried onions....and other delicious unrecognizable things!

I am really not sure why Pho is the dish that Vietnam is known for. This dish was a Vietnamese flavor explosion in your mouth. We will definitely be back. A couple of good friends from DC took us here tonight to introduce us to it, it was really amazing. 

You may be curious: do these two do anything except go out?! Yes, we do. As many of you know, we love to cook, but we haven't had the time to go to the market. In Vietnam, there are no Super Targets or Safeways, if you want to do your grocery shopping, you go to several stores. This is one of the main reasons why we hired Mrs. H, our housekeeper/chef/errand lady. She started today. We gave her a list of 10 items and she went to two stores to purchase everything. One of the reasons why we hired her is because she said she will teach us how to cook Vietnamese food, we cannot wait! 
We hope to post those pictures soon.

On another note, I had a cultural awakening today. I asked Mrs. H to buy salsa while she was out, since I had seen it at the store.....well, I came home to this:


She made me salsa, I think I am in love with this woman!

Then I got to thinking, is this REALLY so odd? Then I remembered the episode of MadMen where Betty Draper gets really upset about eating frozen food. I wonder whatever happened to us. Our culture, when did we switch from fresh food to frozen/processed food? There has got to be an anthropology study somewhere out there. Maybe we all just got too busy. Regardless, I am grateful to live in a space where we can afford help to enable me to make better choices. 
Once again, tonight I got to bed well fed and happy; Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment