Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A little slice of home:)

Today was a beautiful day in Ha Noi. After the storm on Sunday, we actually saw bits and pieces of blue sky. It has been completely lovely. My thoughts and prayers go out to my friends on the East Coast as they brave Hurrican Sandy, I hope they are all doing well and the storm has passed.


The view from our balcony this morning :)

I was riding the high last night from the holiday party, it took me awhile to go to sleep. This morning was pretty low key, catching up on work and getting ready for the rest of the year's events and new arrivals to post. I love my job so So SO much..... I will share more on that at a later date.

Today we received our quarterly commissary order. One per quarter, we are able to order from the Bangkok Commissary(think large supermarket with American goods, accessible to Mission Staff). We barely made the cut to place our order but we got it in. What we were told to do was; over-order! because things get sold out by the time your order gets in, so it's truly a surprise when you unload your boxes. I, of course, took a picture of one of the boxes. 

I would like to preface this photo with a statement; 
I love Vietnamese food and would be perfectly happy eating Vietnamese food all day every day. HOWEVER, I see it like living your life without chocolate/swedish fish/twizzlers--or whatever your vice is--Yes, one can live without it, but it enhances the quality of life just a smidge, in moderation:


I am an American and I love Macaroni and Cheese. No shame here.

After work today I decided to try my first yoga class in Ha Noi. I went to the locally recommended "expat" studio; Zenith Yoga. The teacher was a lovely Australian woman, and everyone else in the class was either Vietnamese or had an Aussie accent. There was even a sign in the WC that said "Kangaroo Crossing: Next 15km." I am not sure if it was the accent, her bright personality, the class sequence or the studio space that was the most relaxing. It was a really good class--exactly what I needed after two weeks off my mat. It wasn't until after the class was over that I heard the motorbikes and taxis honking outside. 

I love that no matter where I am, as soon as I step on my yoga mat, I feel like I am home. The studio was a real Oasis in the midst of Ha Noi and I will definitely be going back! 

When I got home, I Skyped with my mama for the first time. It was SOOOO good to hear her voice. It was pretty exciting to get a call waiting sign and hear from one of my BFFs as well. 

It was a great day. I thought I would feel homesick after connecting with family and friends, going to yoga and putting American food on our shelves, but truly, it just helps Ha Noi feel more like home :)


1 comment:

  1. love hearing about how life is going for you. Let me know if you ever want a care package ;)

    ReplyDelete