Monday, October 22, 2012

Dinner AND a show!

Happy Monday!

This week started off splendidly, I finally got to meet my boss and we got word that the shipment of our goods from Denver(which we haven't seen in almost a year) will be in our possession by the weekend. Life is good.

We decided to be adventurous and try a place all on our own, it was recommended by a friend.


My $3 dinner; brown rice noodles with prawns, mushrooms and crab with a side of iced beer.

It was decent. The most exciting--if you can call it that--part of the meal, is when Hubs looked over at me and said "DON'T MOVE!" I, of course, moved. He informed me that I missed a giant rat running up the side of the pipe behind me. I moved seats, and continued to drink my beer. Then we heard a strange cackling from above us and looked up to see a pack of yellow geckos eyeing us. We decided it was time to leave. It was an exciting meal, nonetheless, and I cannot remember a time that I ever experienced dinner and a wildlife encounter for less than $5. 

After dinner, we walked along the lake to learn more about our neighborhood. 


Vietnamese version of a drive through: vendors on bikes sell sweets, sodas, coconuts, balloons and more on the side of the road. People stop by on their motorbikes, pay and ride on.

Naturally, we were intrigued, so after our third walk by, we decided to stop:


bò bía ngọt
Rice paper, sugarcane, jicama and toasted sesame seeds. Two for fifty cents--Delicious!

On our walk we found some more spots to try on later dates. The general restaurant rule that we have learned in our last ten days is; look for a place that is busy, with a lot of Vietnamese people there. We should have known better when we went to dinner, there was only one other table that was full. 
Now we know!



1 comment:

  1. ohmygoodness. i so wish jp and i could make it out to see you and explore hanoi and try all that delicious food. thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete