Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I serve at the pleasure of the President

I have been chanting the mantra "I serve at the pleasure of the president"--mostly because we have been watching a lot of the West Wing--but also because I knew that no matter what happened today; I would be serving for a man who would do his very best to make America better.

I could say a lot, but I have to say I am happy that the election is over, so we can focus on what unites us rather than what separates us; we are Americans, we love our country, and it's an amazing privilege to be an American, to have the freedom to vote--to be a woman and vote!---and for many other freedoms we take for granted because we have never lived without them. So I ask you to take a moment of gratitude, in this month of gratitude, to say thanks to Our Country. I know I have has this thought many times; especially since moving to Ha Noi.

It was an amazing day, most especially in the world of food...


A day started with a mini-banana is always a good day!


We were some of the first people to arrive at the AmCham Ha Noi brunch. CNN, CNBC and BBC were live on the big screen.


My "Proud to be an American" branding that I wore all day(this got me on the buffet line)


The Intercontinental Hotel sure can throw a party, the pastry spread alone was impressive!


Passion fruit, pineapple, apple, watermelon, dragon fruit and a fruit salad


The cheese display, I was in heaven


What is a Vietnamese breakfast without Pho?!


All-American Omelet Bar


Bacon: an Iowa gal's DREAM


It was hard to choose, but I went with a veggie omelet, hash brown round, bacon, spicy pepper sauce, spicy soy sauce, passion fruit, watermelon and vegetable dumplings. It was just the perfect amount.

I decided to leave early with a couple of colleagues who opted to go to work around 9:00am. We have an American Center at the Embassy, where Vietnamese students come to practice English and go to lectures and such, it's pretty cool. The 2012 EAP SOSA Award winner was facilitating, she is amazing at what she does for this community.They had an awesome set-up for the election.


Both parties were represented! YEA!


Several students, Embassy staff and other random Americans were watching the election.


My "I Voted" sticker. They were numbered due to another event last week. 


Our own map to document the election. Several people were having fun coloring in the States.

I took a break to do some work and meet a new friend for lunch. This new friend happens to be one of the owners of PuKu, a lovely cafe on "Food street" in Ha Noi. 


Irish nachos; think nachos with thick cut fries--very tasty!


Want an iced tea? You get it in a frosty Carlsberg glass! It was delish!

After lunch, I went back to work and co-delivered Free Marine Ball tickets to the winner of the Local Staff raffle: my Local Staff Assistant V!! She was so happy, there were lots of high fives and jumping up and down and our whole corridor was buzzing. Even the ladies from the Medical Unity popped over to celebrate her winning! 

It was a great day.

We came home and our housekeeper was still there, the house smelled amazing....


Baby sticky rice; something that she wanted us to try. A lot of people eat it for breakfast here. 
It was a bit sweet and filling.


This is what we came home to; Shrimp & Chicken Spring rolls, fresh veggies and herbs, herbed broccoli & cauliflower, fresh papaya, fresh rice noodles and dipping sauce. 

This was the ultimate day for me; full of three amazing meals, new friends and lots of fun events. 

I am feeling so blessed, so happy
and incredibly privileged to serve at the pleasure of the President.

God Bless America!


No comments:

Post a Comment