Thursday, November 1, 2012

Girls, Girls, Girls.....

Today I became a member of the Hanoi International Women's Club. I attended their Newcomers Welcome morning, and it was a lot of fun. The HIWC is a non-profit group made up of 300 women from 40 countries. I met new friends from the US, Australia, Denmark, Ireland, Scotland, Bulgaria, Japan and more places I cannot recall. They have a lot of weekly events for women to get together and build community, and also trips and charity events. I really would like to be on their Charity Aid Committee, but they only take new people once per year. I am excited to have a new group of women to network with outside the Embassy Community to enrich our experience in Ha Noi. One woman sings in the Hanoi International Choir, and I am hoping to join that....there are endless opportunities here! I love this city!

After work, I scheduled a recommended tailor to come to the house and fit me and three girlfriends for our Marine Corps Ball gowns. We pulled up the gowns we wanted on the internet, she took our measurements and gave us the estimated price. It was such a good deal, we didn't even need to barter! It was a good time, however; the tailor kept telling me how good it was to have a baby and how lucky it was, how nice it was to be pregnant with friends, etc.
(my three girlfriends are 4, 5, and 6 months pregnant. For the record; we are not expecting.)

After the measurements were taken, I joined another new group of girlfriends for dinner. My street food buddy Nonna invited me over for her girlfriend's typical Thursday night; some form of group exercise and healthy dinner. Tonight it was Zumba, but I missed out due to the fitting. 
Luckily, I made it for the food!


Vegetable quesadilla, tobasco, stir-fried green beans with dill, baguette, and gazpacho. Mm-mm! These expats can COOK! I love how I always find friends who love food as much as I do.

Today is exactly what I needed; girl time. It's incredibly invaluable and undervalued. While many of my friendships are just budding; I can see there are many wonderful woman who live in Ha Noi who I hope to call my dear friends by the end of our two year tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment