Friday, November 2, 2012

Buffalo Horn "Village"

1/8th of my job responsibilities is to plan events for the Embassy Community. Therefore; our office planned a "Scouting trip" to the Buffalo Horn Village. This was a place that none of us had been to before, but it had been recommended as a great place to go. It was an hour away, on the outskirts of Ha Noi. We left straight away this morning and it was a bit challenging to find. Once we arrived, we realized that it was less of a village and more of a few houses where people make various crafts our of buffalo horn. We got out of the car to ask for specific artists and came across a pile of buffalo skins...which I decided to NOT photograph for my friends out there. But I will tell you this; I almost reconsidered becoming a vegetarian for ten minutes at least.

We got out of the car and it smelled like the cornfields of Iowa, my home state. If you have ever driven through the cornfields of Iowa, you know this is not the most pleasant smell. 
Luckily, what we found was quite pleasant.

We started at one artist's home. His wife, 16 month old son and sister/nanny were there. He showed us many things that are made in his "factory." His sister offered us to make us lunch. 


Buffalo art for your living room....


Or, if you prefer; a matching set


Spoons made from buffalo horn


Not buffalo; deer? elk? some other animal?


JACKPOT! Bangles and bracelets galore


A peacock comb made of buffalo horn


The original buffalo horn they use; we were told that this buffalo horn is imported from Africa and that a lot of things they make are exported to China.


More buffalo horn....

We purchased several items, and we tried to barter, but the Artist told us that all the money was to pay for the baby's formula. So....we paid in full. He then offered to show us around. We went across the street to see another artist who makes combs.


Construction is everywhere in Ha Noi...this is what we had to walk through to see the combs. I want to say it was worth it....but, you will see....


The comb production line

I expected to go into his home, but he took us into a small production line, which was referred to as a "factory." I was surprised.


One of the unfinished combs in the "Factory"


You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.....$2 backscratchers(yes, I bought one)


Another worker finishing the combs before they get polished

It was a fun morning trip, but definitely not a place to take a group of people. We invited him to come to a vendor's bazaar, and I hope he does.


The "Village" which was really three people's homes where they also sell goods. Note the woman on the motorbike with long pieces of bamboo behind her. I see SO many amazing things on motorbikes, but I never have my camera ready. I found this website for reference: 
I have seen 75% of these things--save for the sting ray and the cow on motorbikes here in Ha Noi

We drove back and I saw a few more fun sights....


Rice paddies!


"Permanent" grave sites--look closely

We made it back in time for lunch and I decided to stop by the new restaurant in the Embassy Annex: Commune
It's owned by a lovely Aussie woman who owns a freestanding restaurant outside the Mission


The Vietnamese "set meal" of the day:
Chicken mushroom meatballs, rice, vegetable soup, julienned zucchini and pineapple. YUM!

It was a very happy Friday. It concluded with the weekly Friday Happy hour at the Embassy restaurant; which just so happened to be a birthday celebration. Tonight, we are off to our first Vietnamese theatre experience. More on that tomorrow:)


A beautiful cake for two lovely dudes

What a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment