Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

It's been a very festive week. Lots of dinners, lunches and holiday shopping. The weather is getting colder (50-65 degrees), scarves are coming out and several shops have decorated for Christmas. It's definitely helping me get into the holiday spirit....

This week I had dinner with some girls at La Badiane. It's a fancy little place with US prices, but it's a work of art. I tried the three course gastronomic menu:


Crab “remoulade” in ginger essential oil, beetroot Carpaccio & Dalat asparagus


Prawns & sesame, leek in coconut & curry, mashed sweet potatoes, lemon grass emulsion


Hot mellow chocolate with Grand Marnier, tangerine sorbet & coffee deglaze

Not only was this the same week as the holiday party, but it's also my assistant M's last week in the office, we are really going to miss her! Yet, this is the life of the Foreign Service, we are all constantly saying hello and goodbye. One perk of goodbyes are the parties/celebrations.

M, V and I went to Quan Nem for a farewell lunch.


Cutesy stir straws make everything better


There is never enough Nem
We three couldn't finish it!


The full spread: nem, noodles, herbs and fish sauce
I don't think I'll ever be sick of it!

After the lunch, V and I went shopping for the Mission holiday Party..


Hang Ma street is full of holiday cheer!


Santas, anyone?


Stockings and nicknacks galore!


Who needs snow when you have styrofoam?


Even the birdcages are getting festive


Metro wholesale, the Costco of Ha Noi

The HIWC Christmas lunch was this week. We celebrated the HIWC Bazaar's success(it raised over $115,000 USD for local charities!), ate great food and danced a bit. I never thought I would be dancing in the middle of the afternoon at the Hilton Hanoi Opera Hotel....or living in Hanoi for that matter!


Even Casual Santa showed up!


Timbale of Eggplant and Chickpeas


Roasted turkey and herbed mashed potatoes and cranberry gravy


Christmas holiday log


The tree in the Hilton lobby, so cute!

Hubs and I have been social butterflies, so we decided it was time for a date night. We chose to try Quan An Ngon. It was filled with Westerners and Vietnamese. Hubs was felt up by a wasted British man who told him that he looked like Robbie Williams and rubbed his abs. It was HUGE. I was told 150 people are employed there, mostly students.


Quan An Ngon


Personalized wet naps--a VN restaurant staple


Banh Xeo, it was almost as good as the one in Da Nang


More nem--are you sick of looking at it?


Would you like a side of MSG with your grilled shrimp?


Lemongrass clams, different style. Not as good as street food.


The power went out after dinner, never a dull moment in Ha Noi!

As we can never have enough celebratory lunches, V and I took M out for dim sum on her last day.


Shark fin soup and Jasmine tea


Assorted dumplings and chinese cabbage


BBQ pork dumplings


Seafood dumplings


Taro and pan fried beef dumplings


Some kind of shrimp concoction, yes, it was as appetizing as it looks:(


Mango pudding


Sesame and peanut dessert

I was so surprised that we were able to find so many things that we needed for the holiday party; stockings for the Marines, festive holiday sprinkles, ornaments, holiday frosting, stocking stuffers, etc. Vietnam is definitely IN the holiday spirit! At the last store that we went to, one of the ladies who works there asked me to translate something for her. Afterwards, V asked her what I get in return. She fussed about it, and then hesitantly shoved me a package.....


Marshmellow rats! Who doesn't love those? I cannot bring myself to eat them....

I hope everyone is having a Happy Holiday season! 

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever seen the video for Rock Deejay by Robbie Williams? Hubs should check it out! haha

    ReplyDelete