Monday, November 5, 2012

Me Vs. The Stove

Most of you know me pretty well, and you know that I LOVE to cook. However, for the last three weeks, I have been a bit apprehensive....


At first glance it looks harmless, but then, you look closer....



CLOSER.....


Oh yea! The squiggle squiggle setting! Or the one squiggle. Top squiggle? No squiggle? 
All of this with NO user's manual.

and then it gets more scary....



I have never claimed to be an award-winning photographer, but if you look CLOSE you will see something foreign to the American eye: CELSIUS!!!!

Now, now. I am not terrified in the way that I won't cook or leave the house, but just a bit nervous because my ego might be burned...and other things too...pun intended.

So I asked around, and got a user's Manual for the range top<not helpful>. So I decided to give it a go:

I attempted frittatas. Martha Stewart's frittatas. No pressure, eh? This morning I converted all of the settings on my stove from Farenheight to Celsius. I placed them on a post-it in my kitchen cupboard(fist pump!). Gaining confidence, I came home from work with gusto and enthusiasm. 
Cooking makes me so happy.


My mini-frittatas cooking away!


Final product: ta-da!!!

The frittatas were a success....I think, I know for sure in the morning. 
Our housekeeper made us an interesting looking dish tonight:


Enchilada casserole...or something, it was really yummy!

I feel pretty happy with myself. The frittatas are so pretty, that and today I had my first Vietnamese language lesson in Vietnam. We got so much done that my teacher ran out of materials that she brought for our 90 minute class. I remembered a lot more from the summer than I thought. I am nowhere NEAR the Hubs, but he had 7 months and I had 7 weeks. I then had to practice a lot of tone pronunciation....that is SO hard! I will get it eventually.....hopefully before we leave in two years.

Tonight our house feels homey, open(after GSO took our welcome kit and hung photos) and our house smells like food, which therefore; smells like home. Life is good!





2 comments:

  1. It took me a while to figure out that you need to put the timer on to actually get the oven to start warming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Me too! That took me ten minutes to figure out that the oven wasn't warming up:)

      Delete