Monday, January 21, 2013

2013 Catch-Up: Food, Yoga, Chili & random thoughts

I could make up a lot of excuses about why I haven't blogged in awhile, I could say that the weather has been making me tired, that I've been tired from work, etc. However the truth is: I've been lazy. 

Here's what we've been up to:

Big surprise: a LOT of eating!

We have been trying to branch out and try some new places, at the beginning of the month, 
we went to Don's Bistro. It was recommended by many from the Embassy, and it was pretty delish. Their specialty is seafood and it was delish. 


Lobster bisque


Ah-mazing meatloaf


Asparagus and a crab cake


Noodles from the Embassy cafe, so simple, but so good

I made a resolution this year to start teaching yoga again after a 5 month hiatus. I started teaching at a lovely studio here called Zenith Yoga. I am SO happy to be back in a great space, serving the wonderful yoga community of Hanoi.


One of the rooms at Zenith


The chakras, hung on the wall in the main studio



Calamari, made by Ms H



The daily special, made at the other Embassy cafe, we are so lucky! 
Chicken ginger and veggie soup


Veggie creation by Ms H: chickpeas and tofu in a mix of spices, YUM

We finally made it to the Czech Beer Haus in Hanoi; Hoa Vien


The outside was pretty decked out....


....the inside was very surprising. It would have not felt like Vietnam if it wasn't filled with Vietnamese people.


The beers are pretty great, and I am not a huge beer fan anymore, but these were tasty


The menu was even more surprising; behold; baked salmon topped with cheese. Probably some of the the best salmon I have ever eaten.


Yummy ribs


Pineapple shrimp

Also this month, we hosted a Chili cookoff at our house. There were 8 chefs and everyone who attended were the judges.


My chili vs. Hubs chili
Hubs got 2nd place, I did not place


What is a party in Vietnam without bendy straws!?


Before the party got started...


The fixins


My mouth is watering just looking at these pots again...we have a LOT of talented chefs at our Mission!

As you can see above, I love bendy straws. My friend Sam just gave me a belated Christmas present....


isn't she the best?! A bendy straw with my new name! niCLO! 

Sam is pretty great, and also a new FS blogger, you can follow her here:
http://keepcalmabroad.blogspot.com/



This is a mug on sale at Zenith. It was exactly what I needed to see the day I found it. Lately I have been feeling lonely and missing my family & friends back home, however, this mug reminded me that I am surrounded by all kinds of greatness inside and out. I am starting a new gratitude mission....more on that later.

I have become incredibly obsessed with Indian food since moving here. Perhaps because it's so readily available and DELICIOUS. I have been sticking to my standys; Foodshop 45 & Namaste, but this week I went to Khazaana


I think it wins for the most beautiful decor-as far as Indian restaurants go


I got the chicken set menu. It was pretty good, but not mind-blowing. It's farther from my house and the price point is much higher, but I am interested in going back someday to taste more of the menu. 

When I was chatting with my dad after NYE he said to me "who is that other GUY in all of your photos?" This is our dear friend Javi. We were in Lnaguage class together at FSI and Hubs and I call him our adopted son. We spend a lot of time together. This week he came to my yoga class and gave me a lift home on his motorbike.


Gucci facemask? Faux or no?


How funny is this? Now, just imagine me on the back with two bags and a yoga back slung behind me. Never a full moment. Hubs and I hope to buy a motorbike this spring, they are fun!

Forgive me for my lack of organization, and my laziness in blogging. I am back on the horse!
More to come on our recent trip to Phu Quoc!


No comments:

Post a Comment