Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Check Your Perspective

Today I came across a video on FaceBook. It was made by the company WATER is LIFE, a nonprofit that brings water filters to the third world.

It reminded me that I want to make a website called PerspectiveCheck.com(or something like that); a place where you can hear from people all over the world about their perspectives to better keep one's self humble. <Now that I have said it, I have to do it>

For example:

Hanoi traffic is a headache compared to the USA, but it's called lovely by people coming out of Chennai.

Hanoi smog is awful compared to Washington, D.C., but it's absolutely blissful to friends who served in Beijing.

Your children are terrors, but they are the dream of many women struggling with fertility.

Et Cetera....

We don't know how good we have it. Previously traveling overseas and now living in Hanoi has definitely opened my eyes to how blessed we are.

I am not perfect, I know that, but I think we--especially those from the Western world--can use a big perspective check every now and again.

It's like one of my favorite quotes by Zig Ziglar....



We can't I hope you feel as inspired as I did by watching this. Now I only hope I can remember to be this grateful every day, I am sure I will need another perspective check tomorrow....especially as Vietnam prepares for the Lunar New Year this weekend.

(Watch the video HERE)


Hanoi at 7:25am. There are approximately 3 times as many people on the street than the rest of the year. It's madness...but perhaps not compared to the Old Quarter in Hanoi....Oh, perspective!



2 comments:

  1. I found your blog from Molly's blog. So cool that your husband is a diplomat in Vietnam. My husband and I just finished serving in the Peace Corps in Cambodia. We visited Vietnam while over there, but never made it to Hanoi. Let me know if you ever visit Cambodia and I'll give you some tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! I am looking forward to going to Cambodia, I will reach out for tips when we travel! Best, Nicole

      Delete